What are the charges?

If you have to go into a residential or nursing home, the cost is going to be one of the things that concern you most. There are a number of residential and nursing homes in the city and they all charge different amounts, depending on the facilities they provide and the amount of care that you need.

We can tell you how much each of these homes charge, or you can contact them directly. Most importantly we will tell you how we work out how much you will have to contribute towards the cost of staying in a residential or nursing home.

Please do remember that this information will only act as a guide and that in some circumstances different rules will apply. However we will do our best to give you the financial facts and explain the charges.

Paying for residential and nursing home care

Will I have to pay?

The costs of running a residential home mean everyone has to pay something towards their stay. How much that is will depend on your personal circumstances and we will look at your finances with you, to help work out how much you will have to pay.

What if I am only going in for a short stay?

If your stay is not expected to last for more than 56 days then there is a fixed weekly charge, depending on your age.  From 9 April 2012, these are:

  • If you are aged 60 or over, you will pay  £119.45 per week.
  • If you are aged under 60, you will pay £84.20 per week.

    However, if you have more than £23,250 in savings, you will pay for the full cost of the stay.

Will I pay for nursing care?

The NHS will pay towards the cost of your care if you are in a registered nursing home. From 9 April 2012 the NHS will pay:

  • the standard rate of £113.70 each week or
  • the high band of £154.60 each week.

You will still have to pay a contribution for other accommodation charges and this will be worked out in the normal way. In most cases, if you receive free nursing care, it will not affect how much you pay towards your care.

Can I get help with the cost?

Yes it is possible. We will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

We have to take into account any pensions or wages you receive, Pension Credit, Income Support and any extra social security benefits you may be entitled to claim for your stay in the home. We do not count Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance as part of your income.

We also have to take into account any savings you may have. If your savings are over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your stay in the home. Any savings between £14,250 and £23,250 will also be taken into account when we work out how much you will have to pay.

Will I have to sell my house?

We will not count the value of your home if any of the following apply:

  • Your husband, wife or partner continues to live there
  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there
  • A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances continues to live there
  • A child under 16 you are financially responsible for continues to live there
  • Other special circumstances

However, if there are no special circumstances we do have to take into account the value of your house when deciding how much you should pay for your residential or nursing home care. If you need help or advice then please get in touch.

Useful contacts

Adult Social Care Contributions
Address: PO Box 16436, Birmingham, B2 2ZE
Phone: 0121 303 2976
Email: accommodation.charges.ssf@birmingham.gov.uk

a woman looking in her purse